News media release 4th July 2011
Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) has recorded its best-ever monthly sales result since HMCA was founded in September 2003. Hyundai finished in fifth position overall with 8,534 sales achieving a market share of 8.9%. The sales result saw an increase of +6% June 2011 v. June 2010 in a market which was down -12% over the same period.
In passenger car sales, HMCA ranked third for the month with 6,253 vehicles sold and a market share of 11.5%.
In another all-time record month, ix35 posted its best-ever monthly sales result since launch, with 1,162 vehicles sold. i45 ranked in third place in the medium segment with 513 sales; and the run-out Getz still achieving second position in the light car segment with 1,524 units sold. iMax finished the month with 192 units sold.
Meanwhile, the multi-award winning Hyundai iLoad van range once again placed first in the van segment with its best-ever monthly sales result since launch for both the month with 705 units sold and year-to-date with 3,265 units sold. iLoad achieved a market share of 30.3% in June.
“Hyundai’s growth in the Australian automotive market and particularly in the passenger car market demonstrates consumers’ desire for affordable, stylish, safe and quality focused vehicles,” said Damien Meredith, Director of Sales, Hyundai Motor Company Australia. “We anticipate this growth will be maintained with the upcoming launch of our all-new models, Accent and i40 Tourer over the coming few months.”
Meanwhile overseas, Hyundai Motor America (HMA) set an all-time record for the first half of the year with sales of 322,797 units, up +26.2% compared with the same record-breaking period last year. The strong sales result was again driven by the all-new Elantra and the i45 (known as Sonata in the U.S.).
Hyundai Motor Company has seen an overall increase in global sales of +12.3% rising from 313,579 in June 2010 to 352.255 in June 2011. Its domestic sales also increased by +22.9% (June 2011 v. June 2010).
Hyundai’s Australian highlights include:
- Getz ranked second in the light car segment achieving 1,524 vehicle sales and a market share of 11.6%.
- i30 ranked fourth in the small car segment posting a sales result of 3,197 units and 12.9% market share.
- i45 ranked third in the medium car segment achieving 513 vehicle sales and a market share of 7.7%.
- iMax ranked second in the people mover segment achieving 192 vehicle sales and a market share of 19%.
- ix35 ranked second in the SUV compact segment posting a sales result of 1,162 units (highest sales since launch) and a 10.6% market share.
- iLoad ranked first in the van segment after posting a sales result of 705 units (highest sales since launch) and a market share of 30.3%.
Hyundai Motor Company’s June 2011 Global Results
1. Commercial Vehicles (CV) include buses & trucks.
2. Hyundai Motor currently has 6 overseas plants in China, India, Turkey, U.S., the Czech Republic and Russia.
*Excludes CKD (Complete Knock Down) unit sales.