News media release 3rd May 2012
In a month that saw 79,097 vehicles sold nationally, Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) finished in fourth position overall with 7,017 sales, an increase of +2.3% over April 2011, achieving a total market share of 8.9% whilst recording its 13th consecutive month of year-on-year growth.
In passenger car sales, Hyundai ranked third for the month with 5,223 vehicles sold and a market share of 12.9%.
For the third consecutive month since its launch the Veloster topped the Sports segment with 297 sales and a segment share of 19.3%. The iLoad remains the van of choice for small business operators placing first with 569 sales and a segment share of 40.6% in the Vans/CC 2.5-3.5t segment; and the ix35 placed first in the SUV Small segment with 971 sales and a 21.4% segment share.
Hyundai was first in the Light segment with a combined segment share of 14% for i20 and Accent models, and second in the Small segment with a combined segment share of 17.2% for the i30 and Elantra models. The new Elantra posted its best monthly sales result since launch with a total of 824 units sold.
“With four models in the range achieving top three segment results, including three segment leaders, April has given us a solid start to the second sales quarter of the year,” said Damien Meredith, Director of Sales, Hyundai Motor Company Australia. “In particular, the new Veloster is continuing to introduce new customers to the brand.”
In the U.S., Hyundai Motor America (HMA) announced an all-time April sales record of 62,264 units, up +1% over April 2011. April is the second best monthly sales result in HMA’s history behind the March 2012 result.
Hyundai Motor Company has seen an overall increase in global sales of +7.9% rising from 344,231 units in April 2011 to 371,597 units in April 2012.
Hyundai’s Australian highlights include:
- Veloster ranked first in the Sports segment, posting a sales result of 297 units and a 19.3% segment share.
- iMax ranked second in the People Mover segment, achieving 146 vehicle sales and a segment share of 17.4%.
- ix35 ranked first in the SUV Small segment, posting a sales result of 971 units and a 21.4% segment share.
- iLoad ranked first the Van/CC 2.5-3.5t segment, achieving 569 vehicle sales and a segment share of 40.6%.
Hyundai Motor Company’s April 2012 Global Results
1.Commercial Vehicles (CV) include buses & trucks.
2. Hyundai Motor currently has six overseas plants in China, India, Turkey, U.S., the Czech Republic and Russia.
*Excludes CKD (Complete Knock Down) unit sales.