News media release 6th June 2012
In a month that saw 96,069 vehicles sold nationally, Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) finished in sixth position overall with 6,886 total sales, achieving a total market share of 7.2%.
In passenger car sales, Hyundai ranked fourth for the month with 5,059 vehicles sold and a market share of 10.4%.
For the fourth consecutive month since its launch the Veloster topped the Sports segment with 359 sales and a segment share of 19.7%, while the ix35 placed second in the SUV Small segment with 921 sales and a 17.6% segment share. The iLoad remains a popular choice for small business and fleet operators alike placing second with 494 sales and a segment share of 33.3% in the Vans/CC 2.5-3.5t segment. The competitive People Mover segment saw the consistent iMax rank second overall with 174 sales and a segment share of 16.9%.
Hyundai was third in the Small segment with a combined segment share of 13.3% for the i30 and Elantra models.
“For a fourth consecutive month since launch, the new Veloster leads the Sports car segment,” said Damien Meredith, Director of Sales, Hyundai Motor Company Australia. “Veloster continues to bring a range of new Hyundai buyers to the brand.”
In the U.S., Hyundai Motor America (HMA) announced an all-time May sales record of 67,019 units, up +13.2% over May 2011. The May 2012 result is the second best monthly sales result in HMA’s history, and third consecutive month topping 60,000 unit sales.
Hyundai Motor Company has seen an overall increase in global sales of +8.1% rising from 338,198 units in May 2011 to 365,501 units in May 2012.
Hyundai’s Australian highlights include:
- Veloster ranked first in the Sports segment, posting a sales result of 359 units and a 19.7% segment share.
- iMax ranked second in the People Mover segment, achieving 174 vehicle sales and a segment share of 16.9%.
- ix35 ranked second in the SUV Small segment, posting a sales result of 921 units and a 17.6% segment share.
- iLoad ranked second in the Van/CC 2.5-3.5t segment, achieving 494 vehicle sales and a segment share of 33.3%.
1. Commercial Vehicles (CV) include buses & trucks.
2. Hyundai Motor currently has 6 overseas plants in China, India, Turkey, U.S., the Czech Republic and Russia.
* Excludes CKD (Complete Knock Down) unit sales.