News media release 3rd August 2012
In an industry record July month, that saw 86,641 vehicles sold nationally, Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) finished in fourth position overall with 7,607 sales in June, an increase of +5.3% over the previous year and secured a total market share of 8.8%.
In passenger car sales, Hyundai ranked second for the month, with 5,707 vehicles sold and a market share of 13.2%.
The month saw HMCA achieve a number of ‘top three’ including segment leading placements for Veloster (sixth consecutive month since launch) and iLoad, second placing for i20, iMax and ix35 (third consecutive month); as well as third place for i30 in their respective segments.
Hyundai led the Light segment with a segment share of 17.3%, achieved through combined sales of its i20 and Accent models. In the Small segment Hyundai placed third with combined sales for the i30 and Elantra of 2,754 units to give a segment share of 15.4%.
“The second place result for our passenger cars is very encouraging, supported by six top three results across the range,” said Damien Meredith, Director of Sales, Hyundai Motor Company Australia. “This is a great start to the second half of 2012 and we are looking forward to the new Veloster SR Turbo hitting the streets this month.”
In the U.S., Hyundai Motor America (HMA) announced an all-time July sales record of 62,021 units, up +4.1% over a record breaking July 2011.
Hyundai Motor Company has seen an overall increase in global sales of +3.1% YOY rising from 322,039 units in July 2011 to 332,027 units in July 2012.
Hyundai’s Australian highlights include:
- Veloster ranked first in the Sports segment, posting a sales result of 360 units and a 18.8% total segment share.
- iLoad ranked first in the Van/CC 2.5-3.5t segment, achieving 591 vehicle sales and a segment share of 38.4%.
- ix35 ranked second in the SUV Small segment, posting a sales result of 942 units and a 19.4% segment share.
- i20 ranked second place in the Light segment achieving 1,382 vehicle sales and a segment share of 12.5%.
- iMax ranked second in the People Mover segment, posting a sales result of 163 units and a 17.1% segment share.
- i30 ranked third place in the Small segment, achieving 2,045 vehicle sales and a segment share of 11.4%.
1. Commercial Vehicles (CV) include buses & trucks.
2. Hyundai Motor currently has six overseas plants in China, India, Turkey, U.S., the Czech Republic and Russia.
*Excludes CKD (Complete Knock Down) unit sales.